Cymbalta reviews can help us find out whether this treatment option is effective or not in addressing various conditions. We are about to unleash the potential side effects of this medication. Nowadays, depression and anxiety are now increasing in numbers. Some patients even experience serious side effects of this health condition. For this reason, it requires medical attention and solid support from the people surrounding them.
Given this point, we will find out how effective Cymbalta is in addressing depression, anxiety, and other health issues that the FDA has approved it can treat. It would be best to have a proper consultation first with a trusted doctor before taking Cymbalta.
What is Cymbalta?
The generic name for Cymbalta is duloxetine. It belongs to the drug class, namely serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). Serotonin is the chemical relative to positive feelings of well-being. Meanwhile, norepinephrine relates to alertness and energy.
SNRIs can work on both depression and anxiety. In this case, Cymbalta (duloxetine) can affect unbalanced brain chemicals that usually occur among depressed people. However, there are several considerations before taking Cymbalta, which we will discuss later on.
Cymbalta may take effect in less than 1 month to address depression. But in some cases, like nerve pain, it may require more time. Aside from that, not everyone can use Cymbalta as their treatment option for various reasons. The doctor will consider the patient’s medications according to their current condition.
Conditions Treated by Cymbalta
FDA has approved Cymbalta in treating several health issues. That includes the following conditions concerning the adults.
1 Major depression and anxiety
A major depressive disorder (MDD) occurs once a person experiences persistent and intense feelings of sadness. We can also refer to MDD as clinical depression. Unfortunately, this medical condition can affect the patient’s life in various aspects.
Several symptoms can help identify if an individual is experiencing this condition. It would be best to be familiar with these symptoms so that you can act appropriately.
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Feeling sad or irritable most of the time
- Shows decreased interest in the activities you previously enjoyed
- Sleeping difficulties
- Feeling tired and restless
- Lack of energy or fatigue
- Feeling worthless or guilty over things
- Inability to concentrate, think, or make decisions
- Suicidal thoughts or harming yourself
2 Chronic pain from musculoskeletal structures
This pain related to your musculoskeletal structures involves your muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, and nerves. Typically, you will experience this pain in just one part of your body. But, you can also feel it throughout the body if it is a widespread condition, such as fibromyalgia.
Relative to musculoskeletal pain, the person can experience the following symptoms. But that will depend on the direct cause of discomfort.
- muscle spasms or twitches
- sleeping difficulties
- cracking or popping sounds
- movement difficulty from the affected area
3 Nerve pain due to diabetic neuropathy
Diabetic neuropathy is the typical complication a person can develop from diabetes. As a result, it can damage the patient’s nervous system. Furthermore, this condition is progressive, which means that related symptoms can worsen over time.
The symptoms of diabetic neuropathy often show up after several years. Aside from that, it can vary depending on which type of neuropathy occurred and which nerves are affected. The types of neuropathy include peripheral neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, and the others like proximal and focal.
This health issue can cause bodily pain and mental distress. Pain, fatigue, and other types of discomfort are widespread. Aside from that, it can be a long-term condition. Fibromyalgia can begin at any age. But women usually experience it compared to men.
Unfortunately, doctors cannot distinguish the exact causes of its occurrence. It can either be due to hormonal changes, physical injuries, or intense emotional trauma. Furthermore, the symptoms associated with this condition can resemble those of arthritis.
5 Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
This type of anxiety disorder is a typical one, and women mostly experience the condition. Fortunately, it is treatable the same as the other disorders. Various treatment options are available to address GAD. That includes psychotherapy, medication, and lifestyle changes.
Meanwhile, GAD shows various signs affecting emotional, cognitive, physical, and behavioral aspects. It can also have co-occurring conditions. For this reason, people experiencing GAD indeed undergo challenging phases.
In this case, it is indeed necessary to see a doctor who can provide medical advice. Patients need appropriate treatment for any of these issues. Meanwhile, Cymbalta can also address the health concerns occurring among children, including GAD and Fibromyalgia.
Overall, extreme feelings of anxiety can last longer than 6 months. The treatment will also depend on the severity of their situation.
A Few Reminders Before Taking Cymbalta
Generally speaking, this medication is available in capsule form in three strengths: 20 milligrams (mg), 30 mg, and 60 mg. However, a patient can only purchase the medicine by prescription.
It is necessary to ask your doctor for advice, diagnosis, or treatment about your health conditions. But relative to taking this medicine, below are some things you need to keep in mind.
- It would be best not to take these medications within five days or 14 days after using an MAO inhibitor.
- Additionally, you cannot use this medication if you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
- Furthermore, young people may have suicidal thoughts after taking an antidepressant. It is necessary to be observant of unusual mood or behavioral changes.
- Your doctor also needs to know if you are taking other medications.
- Moreover, pregnant and lactating mothers should also coordinate with their doctor or OB-GYN first before taking this medication.
- Lastly, do not start or stop taking Cymbalta without consulting your doctor appropriately for medical advice, diagnosis, or anything about the medication.
Important Notice: No children below seven years old can take Cymbalta.
Potential Side Effects of Cymbalta
In every medication, we cannot remove the fact that side effects can occur. After taking Cymbalta, the user may experience any of the following mild to severe side effects.
Mild Side Effects
The following conditions may go away within a few days or after a couple of weeks. However, if they worsen over time or don’t go away, it is necessary to consult the doctor or pharmacist.
- Less appetite
- Excessive sweating
- Dry mouth
- Sleep disorders, such as insomnia
- Lack of energy
- Sexual side effects (Men: Erectile dysfunction, Women: Loss of sex drive)
The abovementioned can only be a few of the minor outcomes a person who took Cymbalta may encounter. Aside from these, what we will see next is the serious after-effects.
Severe Side Effects
These kinds of side effects do not usually show up but can still occur. If the patient experienced any of these, it would be best to call the doctor right away. Some of these could be life-threatening if not addressed immediately.
- Liver damage
- Orthostatic hypotension
- High levels of serotonin or serotonin syndrome
- Severe skin allergies
- Eye issues
- Low sodium levels or hyponatremia
- Urination difficulties
- High blood pressure or hypertension
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviors
Side Effects in Children
As mentioned earlier, Cymbalta can also help treat children’s conditions. In this case, even the children can encounter the following outcomes after taking Cymbalta.
- Your child may experience belly pain.
- Additionally, they may also show loss of appetite.
- Moreover, you may notice a decrease in their weight as well.
- Your child may even encounter diarrhea.
- Another after-effect is fatigue.
- Furthermore, your child may also complain of headaches.
- Lastly, they may even experience nausea and vomiting.
In worse-case scenarios, Cymbalta can also cause suicidal thoughts and behaviors in children. For this reason, it is necessary to have your physician or pediatrician consulted beforehand. Weight gain and weight loss are typical among children that require monitoring.
In clinical studies, the doctor needs to monitor the child’s weight who took the drug. Weight gain or weight loss while taking this drug is possible. If this weight concern happens to your child, the doctor will select another medical treatment aside from duloxetine.
Dosing of Cymbalta
If a person needs to take this drug, there is proper dosage for every condition.
- Initial dose: 20 mg to 30 mg (twice a day)
- Maintenance dose: 60mg daily (either once a day or 30 mg – twice a day)
- Maximum dose: 120 mg per day
- Initial: 30mg (once a day for at least one week)
- Maintenance: 30-60mg (once a day)
- Initial: 60 mg (once a day)
- Maintenance: 60-120 mg (once a day)
- Maximum: 120mg/day
- Pain, Chronic Pain, and Neuropathic Pain
- Initial: 30-60 mg (once a day)
- Maintenance: 60 mg per day
- Usual Geriatric Dosage for GAD
- Initial: 30mg (once/day – at least two weeks)
- Maintenance: 60 mg (once a day)
- Maximum: 120mg/day
- Usual Pediatric Dosage for GAD (7-17 years old)
- Initial: 30mg (once a day – for at least two weeks)
- Maintenance: 30-60 mg (once a day)
- Maximum: 120mg/day
- Usual Pediatric Dosage for Fibromyalgia (13 years above)
- Initial: 30mg (once/day – for at least one week)
- Maintenance: 30-60 mg (once/day)
Generally speaking, a child or an adult can experience a side effect when they take this drug. They are also prone to overdose if they don’t know the proper dosing of these drugs. This situation goes the same way with any antidepressant. So, guidance and sufficient information are necessary.
Cymbalta Reviews – Does It Effectively Treat Depression?
Generally speaking, user reviews can help several people know more about a particular product. But when it comes to medications, the best person to ask is your doctor. Every person may have different reactions towards a treatment applied.
For this reason, the patient needs an assessment for their pain from the doctor. This way, they can receive the most appropriate treatment for their condition. Otherwise, they might experience adverse effects, and the situation can even worsen.
So, if it’s the first time that you feel like the world around you is breaking apart, seek help. The first people to turn to are your loved ones or friends. It would be best to receive treatment before your condition affects your whole life with its long-term effects.
Anxiety and depression are no joke. Do not treat your symptoms as if they are not there. Ask for help.
Cymbalta, Medically reviewed by Kaci Durbin, MD, Updated September 01, 2021, https://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html#dosage
Cymbalta (duloxetine), Alex Brewer, Medically reviewed by Dena Westphalen, Pharm.D., September 21, 2020, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/cymbalta#side-effects